Candy canes are bright, colourful, and associated with Christmas of course. We use them to decorate our Christmas trees, wreaths, and even in centrepieces. If you want to give your holiday centrepiece that extra festive touch, you can make your own candy cane vase.
- Cylindrical vase (same height as your candy canes)
- Candy canes (enough to line the exterior of the vase)
- Thick rubber band
- Pair of Scissors
- It is essential that you find a vase that is straight and the same size as the length of your candy canes. Even if the candy canes are slightly taller, this is not a problem. They should just not be shorter than the vase. A drinking glass like a whisky glass is a great option if you want to make a smaller arrangement.
- Place your rubber band around the glass or vase. Make sure that it’s placed around the middle.
- Now arrange each candy cane so that it is secured by the rubber band and so that the hook part is facing outwards.
- Continue adding candy canes until the whole vase is covered.
- Cut a piece of ribbon and tie it around the arrangement to conceal the rubber band.
- When your vase is ready, you can add some water and fresh Christmas flowers! If you prefer, you can skip the water and use silk flowers instead.
- Once the holidays are over or almost over, or when your flowers perish, you can tuck into those sweet candy canes. Do not be tempted to hang onto them. They will crystalise eventually and they won’t look as good next year.