When you visit your local supermarket, you are bound to come across a number of types of jam. From strawberry and apricot to fig and even watermelon jam, there’s something for everyone. There is one type of jam, however, that is particularly sweet and aromatic – rose petal jam! This type of jam is really easy to make and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. The most important thing to remember when making this jam is that you need roses that have a strong, sweet scent. It is this natural scent that will give your jam its flavour.
What you need:
- ½lb rose petals (you can use white but pink and red petals produce a gorgeous colour)
- 4 ½ cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Lemon juice (2 fresh lemons squeezed)
- Prepare your rose petals by cutting off the white areas from the base of each petal. Any petals that are brown or damaged should be discarded. Depending on their condition, you could use them in potpourri so don’t throw them away just yet.
- Wash all of your rose petals thoroughly with cold water. A good soak is just what they need and you should check for any debris and bugs.
- If you aren’t in too much of a hurry, you should let your petals soak for up to three days. This step is recommended but optional if you’re in a hurry.
- Now place the clean petals in a bowl and add the sugar. Only add enough sugar so hat each petal is coated. Any extra sugar should be set aside for use later in the recipe.
- Use your fingers to gently bruise the petals. This helps the process along and allows the sugar to penetrate the petals.
- Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge overnight.
- In a pot on the stove, mix the water, lemon juice and leftover sugar. Allow all of these ingredients to dissolve over a low heat.
- Add the sugary rose petals to this mixture and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for approximately 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Pour the fresh rose petal jam into sterilized jars, seal them and store in a cool place. Once you open one of these jars, it should be stored in the fridge just like any jam.
This delicious jam is perfect for your own use and it also make a sweet gift! If you want to present a jar of rose petal jam as a gift, you should make sure that you choose the right jar and take it one step further by decorating the jar with a colourful bow.1